I will not shop on Black Friday. EVAR! I figure the time I spend in line totally negates the savings, and would rather spend that at home, warm, with my family, and brewing. The last Black Friday brews have been oatmeal stouts, so I changed it up this year and attempted a Foreign Extra Stout.
Mash the following at 153°F for an hour (I misplaced my thermometer, and found an old centigrade thermo. So I had to go all metric today.)
- 20 pounds Maris Otter 2 Row Pale Malt
- 2.5 pounds Roast Malt
- 2 pounds 55L British Crystal Malt
- 1 pound Flaked Barley
After mash, bring to boil. Boil time is 60 minutes. For this recipe I used first wort hops.
Add bittering hops before boil for 60 minutes of the boil:
- 3 oz. Cascade pellet hops 5% alpha
- 1.5 oz. Northern Brewer pellet hops 9.4% alpha
After 45 minutes, add the following for 15 minutes:
- 1 oz Northern Brewer pellet hops 9.4% alpha
After 55 minutes, add the following for 5 minutes:
- 1 oz East Kent Goldings pellet hops 5.9% alpha
Remove from heat, cool wort below 80°F and transfer to carboys. Pitch yeast:
- White Labs #WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast
The beer is currently fermenting.
FG 1.018 estimated
ABV 6.4% estimates
Yield 10 gallons